A Balcony Compost Update

Back in May, I wrote about our experiment with apartment balcony composting. We mixed kitchen scraps, dried leaves, and some “starter” compost in a bucket on Nate’s balcony to see if it would turn into compost that we could use for our plants.

Here’s what we started with:

March 28, 2020

Here’s how it looked a month later:

May 4, 2020

And here’s how it looked yesterday:

June 17th, 2020

He has added some more cardboard and egg cartons to it (that’s the brown stuff sticking out at the bottom), just because he had them lying around. The orange peels and apple cores are gone, but some of the eggshells and leaves are still identifiable.

Nate would also like to report that, although he forgot to stir the compost for the last 2 or 3 weeks, there is still no smell. He also found a snail and a worm, in addition to several other bugs, in the compost. How a snail and a worm got to a 3rd floor apartment balcony is anyone’s guess.

So far, this experiment has been a great success, and I can’t wait to use this compost on some potted plants.

One thought on “A Balcony Compost Update”

Leave a Reply