My First Saved Seeds Have Sprouted!

Back in October, I collected echinacea seeds from a spent flower I saw on Stanford’s campus.

I sowed four seeds indoors in one pot on January 9th, not knowing what to expect. I was a little worried because some sites I read said you should cold-stratify echinacea seeds to improve germination, but other people said it didn’t matter. I didn’t cold stratify these seeds (because I didn’t read those sites until I was about to plant the seeds).

On Wednesday night, I noticed two sprouts poking their leaves out of the soil, and by Friday night, there were three!

If you squint, you can see a fourth sprout (!) poking up at 12:00 in the photo above. That’s nearly a 100% germination rate, in 10-12 days. Not too shabby for some seeds I collected for free from a dead flower on campus.

(Ignore the algae in the pot…I’m not really sure what to do about that. None of the other pots have any algae.)

Leave a Reply