Rhododendron Clean Up

(And snow in March)

I was visiting my dad last week, and decided to do a bit of work in his yard. There is a rhododendron on the backside of his house near the shed. There are also a couple of azaleas nearby – I didn’t get a good photo of them, but you can see the edge of one in the bottom right corner of this photo.

This bed sits underneath the canopy of a giant oak tree that sheds tons of leaves and acorns in the fall, and this rhododendron bed was thick with leaves. The leaves were also stuck in the azalea branches weighing down the azaleas. (No photo, but believe me when I tell you they were looking pretty sad.)

I raked out the leaves and then pruned the rhododendron to clean it up and get it out of the way of the pathway. Here’s the blurry *after* photo I took (I need to work on my camera skills if I’m gonna to keep going with this site…):

And then this happened:

Snow!
…in March!

Here’s the post-snow non-blurry *after* photo of the rhododendron:

It’s a little hard to tell in the photos, but all the leaves have been raked out the bed — 3 wheelbarrows-full of them — and a lot of the lower branches that were hanging over the walkway have been pruned out. Very satisfying in person.

I’ll try to remember to get a photo of it when it’s in bloom.


On a completely different note, I’ve started germinating my Meyer lemon and blood orange seeds and will have more to share with you on that later…